Brand new BMW spare parts can be very expensive to purchase especially if your car needs several replacements. However, you do not need to get brand-new parts to get your ride in the condition you want it. Local salvage yards purchase used and wrecked cars and stock them. The cars usually have several valuable spare parts only that as a whole, are not roadworthy. The wreckage yard makes money by selling usable spare parts at heavy discounts. This is a benefit to you as a vehicle owner and it serves as an automobile recycling center. In this article below I will discuss specifically how I get used BMW parts.
Finding the Perfect Salvage Yard for Your BMW: Quality, Price, and Compatibility
When searching for the ideal salvage yard to procure OEM BMW parts, BMW replacement parts, used engines, or rebuilt BMW parts, it’s crucial to undertake thorough research to ensure that the components you acquire meet the highest standards of quality and compatibility with your BMW car. To begin your quest, it’s advisable to focus on establishments renowned for their extensive inventory of BMW components.
Salvage yards with a wide selection of genuine OEM BMW parts are more likely to provide you with the precise components you need for your vehicle. Additionally, inquire about their stock of rebuilt BMW parts and ensure they meet quality standards, as these can offer a cost-effective alternative to brand-new parts.
Consider the price factor while conducting your research. Different salvage yards may price their BMW parts differently, so it’s essential to compare prices and find a balance between quality and affordability. However, beware of exceptionally low-priced components, as they may not meet the desired quality standards.
It’s also wise to explore aftermarket options for BMW parts but exercise caution when choosing them, as not all aftermarket parts offer the same level of quality and compatibility as OEM or rebuilt parts.
A reliable salvage yard should be able to provide information about the origin and quality of its components, enabling you to make an informed decision. By meticulously researching and considering factors such as quality, price, and compatibility, you can find the right salvage yard to source BMW parts that will keep your BMW cars running at their best.
Why Go To a Junkyard
Some yards specialize in certain makes of cars while others mix all types of vehicle makes or have specialized inventory like imports. It will be easier to go to a wreckage yard nearby that specifically, stocks stalled or wrecked BMW manufactured vehicles.
A BMW salvo will have the highest probability of finding the parts you need. They will also have the largest selection of Bimmers by model and year. The fun part is that you are likely to land barely used or brand-new parts. This happens when a newer model is in an accident and gets junked. I have literally pulled brand-new parts off BMWs at the junkyard.
If you really want to get to the exclusive parts fast you can join the junkyards email list to find what vehicles are coming in.
Pulling Used BMW Parts: DIY or Have Them Pulled For You
There are two ways you can use to acquire spare parts from your local scrapyard. Typically, you will be charged a small fee to enter and look for the parts you want. Upon entering, you can choose to search and remove the parts yourself, or they can get the parts removed for you.
Getting the parts removed for you is very convenient, however, it can be costly. You will have to pay for the spare part and the service. Remember, the main reason you choose to go to local junkyards near you for your BMW spare parts is to minimize the cost. It will be more cost-effective if you search and find and remove parts yourself. To do this, you will need to bring your own tools.
Follow These Cost-Effective Steps for Used BMW Parts
Here are the fundamental steps you will need to follow:
- Before visiting your local junkyard, inspect your car and remove all the spare parts you need to replace. Since you will get your spare parts from a BMW junkyard, removing the spare parts by yourself gives you two advantages. You will know the appropriate tools to use at the junkyard and removing the spare parts will be easy because you have done it before. Make sure you store the nuts and bolts safely
- Do research on the spare parts you seek to replace and establish which models share the exact parts. Remember, different models developed over several years can share several exact parts. Knowing all the models that have parts similar to the ones are looking for will save you time and can land you the best spare parts in your local BMW junkyard. You can also try calling the salvo ahead before your visit to see if they have the parts or the year and model of your vehicle on the lot.
- At your local BMW junkyard, examine the used BMW parts before removing them. Some parts may be rusty and corroded. Examining the spare parts before removing them will help save you energy removing unusable parts. Ensure you test the parts at the junkyard and be satisfied they are functional before removing and carrying them so that you don’t pay for parts that will help you.
- Remove the inspected and functional parts. Because you have practiced removing the parts from your BMW car, it should be easy to do the same at your local BMW junkyard. If the bolts and screws are damaged by wreckage such that they can be removed smoothly, you can cut out the parts, pay for them and then fix your ride.
- Ask the salvage yard if they offer any warranties. Some yards will give you a 30-day guarantee on the used parts. They will not give you cash back but will give you a credit or replacement part if what you bought doesn’t work. A normal warranty is about $8 to $15 per part depending on the yard. I would advise getting one on any part that you feel is expensive.
For our best list of tips and tricks read: 16 Tips for Pulling Parts at an Auto Salvage
Used BMW Parts – Conclusion
Since Bimmer parts can be expensive, you can take advantage of the opportunity to make a profit at the junkyard.
You can find used BMW parts cheaply and sell them for a profit online. You can do this on Ebay and/or Craigslist. I have made a lot of money doing this and it’s effortless. If you are already making a trip to the auto salvo, you might as well pull some extra pieces that can make a few bucks. If you do this you should also share the knowledge you have about what makes and models the parts can be used in. This will help expand your audience to sell to and add trust to your seller’s account.