South Carolina is a great state to find used auto parts to save money. Whether you are looking for foreign or domestic cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, etc you can find it in SC. Below I will discuss how to find the best prices, tips to pull parts off junk cars, and getting a warranty on a used auto parts purchase. I will also share my experience with junkyards in South Carolina.
Map of Junkyards in South Carolina
For “Junkyards in South Carolina” or “Salvage Yards in South Carolina”, see the map below…
How Auto Junkyards in South Carolina Operate
Junkyards in South Carolina are privately owned businesses that operate under tax laws similar to other local businesses. They are required to have a state license and adhere to specific regulations regarding salvage parts, vehicles with salvage titles, and environmental statutes for pollution, hazardous material and waste control.
These yards purchase wrecked, salvage, junk vehicles from various sources and sell them as local used auto parts to the public. These businesses are essentially complete automotive recycling services.
Processing of Vehicles at an SC Junkyard
Before dismantling a vehicle, essential preliminary steps must be taken. This includes draining hazardous fluids and removing high-value parts. Examples of parts that could be removed include the battery, alternator, starter, engine, or transmission.
Clean fluids can be repackaged and sold. Tagging and labeling vehicles with details simplifies the search for desired items on your website. if they find low mileage engines, sometimes they remove them and rebuild them.
Pulling Auto Parts
At a self-service auto salvage yard, you can remove your own used auto parts directly from the junk vehicles. Getting an old car part is relatively straightforward if you have the right tools and mindset. Here are some tips to assist you:
- Preparing for Your Trip – Remove the parts you want to replace from your current vehicle first. Set aside the tools and put them in your toolbox so you know you have what you need.
- Carry Tools and a Box – Bring a toolbox with wrenches, sockets, and screwdrivers to remove auto parts quickly.
- Don’t Get Discouraged Quickly – If the vehicle is in bad shape and has been sitting for some time it may be challenging to remove certain parts. Don’t give up easily – try different methods to remove the part.
- Ask for Assistance – If you are having trouble removing a part, ask an employee at the junkyard for help. They may have tools or techniques that can make the job easier.
Also Read: 6 Tips for Finding Used Vehicle Parts Online
What Kind of Auto Parts Can You Find?
When searching for used auto parts for cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, and motorcycles in a South Carolina junkyard, you can find a wide variety of parts. Commonly searched for items include:
- Engines and Transmissions – These are often the most sought after mechanical parts as they are expensive to purchase new.
- Auto Body Parts – Such as doors, bumpers, hoods, and fenders. These parts can be damaged in accidents and are often expensive to replace.
- Interior Parts – Including seats, dashboards, and steering wheels.
- Electronics – Such as radios, speakers, and GPS systems.
These used auto parts are often OEM and manufacturer-assembled. In my opinion, this beats aftermarket parts every day.
Getting a Warranty on Used Auto Parts
When buying used auto parts for cars trucks, vans, SUVs, etc a junkyard in South Carolina, it’s important to inquire about warranties. While some yards provide warranties that can range from 30 days to one year, it’s crucial to understand the specific terms and conditions such as no cash back. I typically always ask for a warranty on any mechanical parts that I purchase.
Also Read: What to Consider When Pulling Junkyard Parts
Types of Salvage Yards in South Carolina
South Carolina is home to over 186 auto-wrecking yards, offering a variety of services from salvaging to warehouses with used auto parts sales. With numerous scrap yards and unwanted vehicle buyers, there are plenty of opportunities to sell your junk vehicle.
Various Salvage Yard Models in South Carolina
- Used Part Warehouses: These businesses specialize in dismantling old vehicles and selling the parts, both in-store and online. With meticulous inventory management and precise labeling, they ensure smooth operations, albeit at slightly higher prices due to the additional labor involved. some SC salvage warehouses will provide local delivery< local non residential delivery, and nationwide shipping.
- Self-Service Yards: Self-service salvage yards offer a cost-effective alternative for customers to access the property and remove parts from vehicles themselves. While these yards typically house a huge inventory of older, lower-quality vehicles, they provide the best prices. Organization levels may vary by location.
- Full Service: Full-service yards offer the convenience of employee assistance or work completion for customers, albeit at a higher cost. This often leads to a wider range of top-notch inventory. Ideal for those lacking the skills or tools to remove parts.
Popular Auto Junkyards in South Carolina
When selecting a salvage yard in South Carolina, consider factors like customer service, tool availability, location, inventory variety, quality, pricing, warranties, and return policies.
Here are a few popular junkyards with 4.5+ star ratings in South Carolina:
- Reeves Junkyard & Auto: 664 Reeves Farm Rd, St George, SC 29477
- Aiken Auto Recycling: 1360 Edgefield Hwy, Aiken, SC 29801
- C&R Auto Salvage Inc: 690 Cannon Bridge Rd SW, Orangeburg, SC 29115
- Freedom Auto Junkyard: 6-18-07-092.00, Spartanburg, SC 29301
- American Recycling: 7716 Fairfield Rd, Columbia, SC 29203
- Thomas Smith Used Cars and Parts: 599 Johnston Hwy, Trenton, SC 29847
- Smith & Jones Antique Auto Parts: 60 Wisconsin St, West Columbia, SC 29170
- Car Quest K&D Auto Parts: 310 Hampton Ave NE, Aiken, SC 29801
Two highly popular junkyard franchises call South Carolina their home.
Also Read: 11 Unspoken Rules for Junkyard Etiquette
Checking Junkyards in the Neighboring States
If you reside near a state border, there are probably numerous junkyards in the vicinity that you can benefit from.
Junkyards in South Carolina Conclusion
Salvage yards in South Carolina are a great way to save money by pulling used parts off of wrecked salvage junk vehicles. Whether you need auto body parts, mechanical parts, car or truck parts, you can find a good shop or yard for used auto parts sales. Some places even do nationwide shipping and have local and nonresidential delivery options. That is my experience with salvage yards in South Carolina.