LKQ Pick Your Part is the best place to get affordable car parts. With locations across 17 states, they are sure to have a yard near you that offers low prices because customers remove parts from used vehicles themselves. Plus, their 90-Day Worry-Free Guarantee, means you can get an exchange or refund if the parts you purchase don’t work or fit. Below I will share where to find an LKQ Pick Your Part, how they work, and my experience with the LKQ near me.
Map of LKQ Near Me
For “LKQ Near Me”, see the map below…
How Does The LKQ Pick Your Part Near Me Operate
LKQ is a self-service auto recycling junkyard. That means you bring your own tools, pick parts of vehicles, and pay for only the parts you take.
LKQ has a variety of vehicles across all their yards, all sourced from private sellers and public auctions. No matter what kind of car you’re looking for, they have it at LKQ. Even if it’s not at your local LKQ junkyard, you can also use their online used parts database.
Before any automobile is put on the lot for pick your part, it first goes through a safety check and has all its fluids drained. Also, the cars are organized in the yard by make/model to make finding what you need much smoother.
The process is straightforward. You find the vehicle you need on the lot and pull the parts you need using your tools. Take the parts to the office and pay for them.
After you’ve found the right part, they will make sure it is compatible with your car and if it’s not, they’ll help find a different one. You’re also protected by their 90-day guarantee which covers most of what could go wrong in that time frame. You can get an exchange or a full refund for parts that don’t fit or don’t work.
Here’s how you DIY with an LKQ Pull Your Part Yard:
The best way to find your parts is by using their website before you visit a yard. You can select a location in the top left header for the junkyard closest to you. Then use the ‘Find Your Parts” button or the “View Our Inventory” button.
Finding what you need on the site is much more efficient than going to an LQK Pick Your Part and hoping to get lucky. If you can find what you need online first, it will tell you exactly where the vehicle is located on the lot.
A majority of the car parts sold at LKQ are original parts from the manufacturer (OEM). If they don’t have the specific part you need for your car, you can use the auto parts interchange system. Many car parts can fit more than one type of vehicle.
How Do They Process Their Vehicle Inventory?
- Before a car is recycled or any of its materials are reused, all fluids like gas, oil, and refrigerant must be removed. This includes oils from the engine and chemicals used in the air conditioner.
- Mercury switches, which have the potential to contaminate 132,000 gallons of drinking water, are removed and recycled through the EPA‘s National Vehicle Mercury Switch Removal Program (NVMSRP).
- After testing, they resell the lead-acid batteries that are still working and palletize and ship offsite the ones too damaged to be repaired. They recycle the lead and plastic from unserviceable batteries, then reuse the acid.
- After the catalytic converters are removed, the metals inside them are shipped off-site to be recovered.
How The Yard is Arranged?
An LKQ junkyard is an orderly place, with all the vehicles grouped by make and model. This makes it much easier to find the exact vehicle you want once you arrive, rather than just walking around aimlessly and hoping to get lucky. The best way to go about finding a specific vehicle in a junkyard is to do your research before showing up by checking where the vehicle you need is located on the lot.
If you haven’t checked before you arrived, you can ask a customer service rep for help. They will help you find what you’re looking for, and they’ll know exactly where it’s located in the lot.
After a Vehicle is Stripped Down…
After a certain amount of time, vehicles that are well-stripped are removed by being crushed and sold as scrap metal. Periodically checking inventory not only allows junkyards to make room for new arrivals, but also provides customers with more options that are currently available.
What Makes LKQ Pull Your Part Different?
Although LKQ has a corporate vibe, there are great benefits to choosing them:
- They offer both Pick Your Part self-service yards and an option for ordering used parts online.
- LKQ has two ways to search for inventory, by searching for vehicles and searching for parts.
- Not only are their junkyards arranged neatly in rows, but every car also has a tag that tells you its precise location on the lot. This makes it simple to find the right vehicle for you.
- They keep all vehicles off the ground on support structures to guarantee both safety and efficiency.
- Parts are often up to 75% off.
- At the checkout counter, they have an auto parts interchange sheet that can help you find the same parts you need from other vehicles.
- 90 Day money-back guarantee. This is one of the longest guarantees I have ever seen at a junkyard.
- They have a price list up on their website so you can figure out how much you can afford to spend before you go.
Is There Equipment That is Not Allowed In?…
Here is a list of tools, equipment, and other stuff not allowed in at the LKQ near me:
- Cutting Torches
- Gas Powered tools
- Power cutting tools
- Jacks and Stands
- Pets & Children
For a list of my favorite tools to carry, read here.
Does the LKQ Near Me Buy Cars?
LKQ buys junk cars for cash of all vehicle types:
- Passenger cars
- Minivans or Vans
- Trucks (like pickup trucks, not semi-trucks)
Whether your car is foreign or domestic, running or not, you can get top dollar for it. If it’s still operational, use that to negotiate a better price.
Once you fill out the form online and reach an agreement, they will dispatch a tow truck to your location at no charge. Before they finalize the payment though they need to inspect it.
Do You Need the Vehicle’s Title?
Depending on the state you reside in, the legal process and paperwork needed to sell your car may vary. In most situations, all that is required is your vehicle title.
Before You Sell Them a Vehicle:
When you’re selling your junk car, it’s important to remember that you can negotiate. I went to the LKQ near me and they said they give top dollar for cars, but their first offer was only equal to the scrap value of the vehicle.
If your car is still running or was recently taken off the road, you may be able to get a higher sales value by mentioning that it still works and listing any quality parts that are still attached. To learn about how to estiate your vehicles value, read here.
LKQ 90-Day Guarantee Program
LKQ Pick Your Part offers an Optional 90-Day Worry-Free Guarantee. This allows customers to return parts and cores within 90 days of the original purchase for either an exchange or a full refund, as long as they have a receipt.
What Kind of Used Auto Parts Can You Find?
At LKQ, you can find parts for virtually any car model. Commonly, I find A/C compressors, headlight assemblies, starters, alternators, axles, brake master cylinders, and cylinder heads. Additionally, you can also locate distributor engines and heater motors. Buying an engine or a transmission is also possible at an LKQ.
The Pros and Cons of Purchasing Used Auto Parts
You must know the good and bad about any salvage yard before buying used car parts from them.
- Saving money (often up to 75% on parts)
- Finding original factory-assembled parts (OEM)
- Ideal place for finding parts for auto restoration.
- Benefits the environment and supports the recycling industry.
- Potential for low-quality parts that fail.
- Have to pull the parts yourself which can require time and skill.
Each location may maintain different hours so it’s best to check the individual locations’ websites or call ahead. In my experience with LKQ, most yards are open from 9 am to 5 pm and some yards are closed on one weekday. These are one of the few self-service salvage franchises that are open on Saturdays or Sundays.
You can find LKQ junkyards in the following states:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
LKQ Near Me Conclusion
LKQ is an excellent option for anyone who wants to save money and time when purchasing used auto parts. They offer a 90-day warranty, a wide selection of parts, and the ability to pull your parts in most locations. Furthermore, you can also sell them junk cars for cash or have them tow them away at no charge. This is what I have learned from my experience with the LKQ near me.