Find Local Junk Removal Near Me
So you got all of this unwanted stuff cluttering things up and you don’t know what to do with it. Getting it removed by a company makes a lot of sense, but you don’t know who is good locally, how to chose a company, what the costs are, and what happens to your stuff? Today we are going to cover all of those questions about junk removal services, also known as haul away. No matter if you’re decluttering your house or business, relocating, or renovating, this article will answer your questions. I will also share my experience and some from the junk removal near me, that I have used.
Where to Find Junk Removal Near Me – Local Junk Removers Locator
The map below will display all of the local services listed for “Junk Removal Near Me” and “Haul Away Services Near Me”. You can hover to see their Google Business Ratings. If your map below shows few options, use the controls to zoom out or refine your search.
The best thing to do is look at some of the reviews and call a few different places. You can get quotes before deciding which company to hire.
How Do Junk Haul Away Services Work?
Junk removal is exactly what it sounds like. A company comes and removes anything you deem “trash” from your home or office.
Most commonly there are two options for disposal of your stuff:
- Haul Away: With this service a truck comes to your location with a huge dumpster on the back of it. They will take all of your stuff into the trucks dumpster and then leave with it. For the most part this is a service where you put your stuff out and they load it and take it. This is often a good option if you are moving and tight on time because you need the property cleared.
- Rent a Dumpster: With this service they drop a dumpster at your location. You choose the size of the dumpster you need and they will come pick it up when you call and say you are ready. This is ideal if you are renovating or personally clearing your clutter over the course of a few days.
Junk removal is often confused with professional organization services, like NAPO. These are professional declutters who come into your house and help you organize and sort out the junk. Junk removers don;t organize or help you, they simply haul away the stuff you tell them to.
What Kind of Junk Will They Remove?
It’s not just junk furniture removal…They pretty much will take anything that is not toxic. If you got it, you can pay them to take it.
Here is a non exhaustive list of the kind of stuff of they will remove:
- Appliances: Fridge, Stove, Dishwasher, Microwave, Washer & Dryer, etc…
- Air conditioners, HVAC Units, Water Heaters, etc…
- Furniture: Couches, Chairs, Dressers, Bed Room Sets, Tables, Desks, etc…
- Mattresses, Bedding, Headboards, Bed Frames, Etc…
- Computers, Monitors, TV’s, Speakers, Electronics, Etc…
- Exercise Equipment, Treadmills, Stationary Bikes, Weight Sets, Home Gyms, etc…
- Bicycles, Scooters, Mopeds, Motorcycles, etc…
- Tools, Tool Boxes, Power Tools, Air Compressors, Shop Vacs, etc…
- Construction Debris, sheet rock, roofing, carpeting, etc…
- Yard Waste, trees, lawn clippings, branches, etc…
- Hot Tubs, Spas, etc…
- Toys, Books, Games, and miscellaneous household stuff
- Musical Instruments including large pianos
- Clothing, fabric, etc…
The most efficient way to get rid of your stuff with a service is be organized before they get there. Separate the stuff you want them to take from the stuff you want to keep. It will make the process go more efficiently and ensure they don’t take something you wanted.
What I have done is if I am getting junk furniture removal of a couch, I just throw everything I want gone on the couch. Then I say, take the couch and everything on it. Alternatively you can just put it all in one area like your garage, driveway, or on the curb.
What Kind of Junk Won’t They Remove?
The stuff they wont take is pretty common across the haul away industry, the moving industry, and the shipping industry. These are the items deemed as dangerous to transport because they require proper handling and disposal.
- Open cans of paint
- Solvents and Chemicals
- Oil Drums and Oil Tanks
- Toxic and Hazardous Waste of any kind
If you have anything like that you may need to look up the rules of your specific county for disposal.
What Kind of Questions Will They Ask Me About My Junk?
In my experience with local junk removal near me, the questions are basic:
- What would you like removed and where is it located? (example answer: Sofa, Mattress, and Old Carpet located in my garage)
- When would like it removed? (example: Date and a time)
You can normally either fill out an online form for most places or call them.
Your local haul away workers will go in any space as long as its not dangerous. You can ask them to take stuff from basements, attics, garages, crawl spaces, offices, storage units and lockers, and sheds.
Many companies offer around the clock service and often on demand. This means you can call and they will come the same day. Of course you can also schedule a removal date.
What Should I Expect When They Come?
A good company will call you shortly before they arrive. Then you can just point at what you want taken and they will tighten up your removal estimate. If you agree on the price, they will start taking everything you want from wherever you have it located. When they are finished, they should neaten things up and leave a clean area.
Affordable Junk Removal – What Are The Costs?
Most places won’t offer a fixed price over the phone. They will provide an estimate based on what you describe you need removed. There estimate will be based on how big they think the square footage of space it occupies is.
Here are the main factors that will dictate whether or not you have an affordable junk removal:
- How much junk are they disposing of for you (example: How much space will it take in the truck)
- What type of material are they hauling away
- What is your zip code and how far away are they located from you
- How easily can they get to the stuff (example: Will they have to go into an attic or crawl space? Will they need to park the truck a block away and carry everything?)
- Are you asking for a haul away truck service or renting a dumpster
Still lets put you in a ballpark on what the average person pays for junk removal. The website Homeguide estimates the average service costs between $150 and $350. Prices however can range though between $70 and $750. In my experience with the local junk removal near me they priced their service based on how many square feet of truck space my stuff occupied. The more square footage, the higher the cost.
TIP: If you are looking for accuracy and trying to ensure affordability ask for an on site quote. Having a pro look at your stuff and tightening up your estimate could be advantageous to saving a few bucks.
Is It Possible to Get Free Junk Removal Near Me?
Yes, but there is a catch of course…
If the Item Has Value
Some small local companies “may” take an item with value and sell it themselves. If you don’t want the hassle or need it gone quickly you may consider a small local haul away service.
At this point it is a negotiation, you are offering them the item in exchange for free junk removal. It would be better to work all of this out ahead of time on the phone. If you can make the argument that the item they are taking can be resold for a value, you may get free junk removal. Likely they will try and charge you to pick it up and then sell it anyway…double dipping. You need to be clear and honest about what the value is and be ready to offer it another junk removal company if they wont do it for free.
If You leverage a Charity Instead of a Removal Service
I once had Big Brothers and Big Sisters charity come to my house and remove 300 crates of music albums. I donated all of them to the charity so they could sell them. Initially I called the junk removal near me, but their prices was over $400. By donating the albums, I saved $400 and the charity sent a truck to my house for free to pick the crates up.
If you are of lower income, you may qualify for charity projects like Rebuilding Together. This is a charity that comes to your house with helpers and fixes your home, but they will also haul away junk for free. I have worked a few projects in the past with this charity and have helped people declutter and remove unwanted items from their homes.
If you have special circumstances, you may be able to call your local haul away and ask for free service. Likely you will need to prove your circumstances and qualifications for the request.
Is It Better to Go With a National Brand or The Local Services?
Either or will do, just perform your due diligence.
Likely you have many local options for removing your junk. There are the small junk removers and large big box brands to choose like 1-800-Got-Junk and 2 Guys and a Truck. Pricing and service should be relatively the same. What I have done in the past is to call 3 services and get 3 quotes. This will help you get yourself the best service at the best price.
When deciding on which company you should narrow it down by reading the reviews. Pay particular attention to people speaking to the following in the reviews:
- Would they hire them again
- The reliability of the equipment
- Was it a good experience
- Did they argue over the on site estimate
What Happens to My Stuff After they Haul It Away?
This will vary depending on who you hire. Most companies look for opportunities to either reuse or recycle the items to protect the environment. They may give items away as donations to charities (sometimes as a tax write off) or bring them to a recycling center. The key goal here is to keep it out of the landfill and in the hands of people who can use it. Things like clothing, toys, and furniture still usable may go to those in need through shelters and/or relief groups.
If where your stuff ends up is important to you, you should ask that when you call the company and evaluate them. It’s better to choose a company that will do the right thing with it, rather then sell your stuff on the secondary market or throw it in the dumps.
What Are the Other Services Haul Away Companies Offer?
In my experience with the local junk removal near me, some have a range of other services related to haul away.
- Automobile Haul Away
- Organization and Decluttering (normally outsourced)
Not all companies offer these services. If you need them make sure you inquire.
What Options Do I Have Aside From Haul Away?
Aside from paying to have someone remove your junk you could consider these option which may result in a free haul away.]:
- Craigslist: Try and sell it or offer items for free if they pick it up (I got rod of an old bedroom set this way).
- Freecycle: Post your items on freecycle and put them on the curb for anyone to pick up
- Charity: Donate to charity and see if they will pick up the items for free (may even get a tax write off)
- Home Salvage: Finding a local home salvage if you have home items with value
- Auto Salvage: Finding a local car salvage or junk car buyer if you have a junk car
- Yard Waste Recycling: May find cheaper haul away if you have yard waste only
Local Junk Removal Near Me Conclusion
Junk Removal services are easy to book and are really straight forward. Point to the stuff you want gone and they take it. While it is difficult to figure out what it’s gonna cost, knowing that they are likely doing it by square footage of truck space will be helpful to estimate. The less space your stuff occupies, the more affordable junk removal cost you will have.
In my experience these services have always been painless. It is such a relief to get your stuff taken away so you don;t have to deal with it. It’s also nice to know that most places reuse, recycle, or donate your stuff. In fact for me that is a big factor in choosing a company. If I am going to get rid of my unwanted stuff, I would much rather it go to someone who can use it.